Career Opportunity: Accounts Clerk – Sydney Office
So They Can is an international NGO, registered in five countries. Delivering programs in Kenya and Tanzania, So They Can’s aim is ‘To empower communities through quality education to break the poverty cycle’.
We have a vacancy for the position of Accounts Clerk, for our head office in Sydney. This is an exciting opportunity for a university accountant student or a recently graduated professional who is keen to make a difference.
Position Description: Accounts Clerk
Reporting to: Database and Office Manager, CFO
Direct reports: None
Location: So They Can, Sydney Office
Hours: 2 to 3 days per week equivalent
The most important duty of the Accounts Clerk is to provide essential accounting and finance functions by processing and recording everyday transactions in MYOB.
Key relationships: Fundraising and Marketing, Project Country Directors
Key tasks & expected results: This is a hands-on role that involves responsibility for processing of financial transactions and supporting Database and Office Manager. The role will include:
Financial data input
- Recording financial transactions in MYOB, Excel and Salesforce
- Reconciling Child Sponsorship donation with Salesforce
- Uploading one-off donation data to Salesforce
- Arranging payment of accounts
- Preparing and sending invoices and receipts to debtors
- Carrying out bank reconciliations
- Reporting for preparation of a Business Activity Statement (BAS)
- Producing balance sheet, profit/loss statement and project profit/loss statement.
- Preparation of Actual vs Budget profit/loss statement maintained in Excel.
- Interpret, analysis and report on financial data in depth insights to the business on financial matters as requested by CFO
- Report any irregularities in financial matters.
Support fundraising & events
- Support Database & Office Manager regarding Mailchimp
- Assist and support Database & Office manager in all events as requested
Qualifications and Competencies
This part of the position description defines the key elements of the So They Can Accounts Clerk.
To keep the Success Profile simple, a framework comprising three components has been created. The details of each component are outlined below — this includes personal characteristics, experience and knowledge.
These competencies define clusters of behaviours, knowledge, and motivations that are related to success or failure within the role of Accounts Clerk.
- Strong commitment to work
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High degree of literacy and numeracy
- Professional and polite manner
- Confident, proactive, flexible approach
- A passion for social justice, teamwork and creating a cohesive and enjoyable working environment
To be successful as Accounts Clerk it is expected that the individual will have been exposed to experiences that shape their future responses to often challenging situations.
- Study in accounting and related area in a university
- Accounting software/bookkeeping for small business
Our Accounts Clerk will need to know their stuff. This will ensure they deliver excellence and will contribute to their personal credibility.
- Reasonable computer (especially in Excel), administrative and data entry skills with attention to detail
- High degree of literacy and numeracy
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality when working with sensitive information
- Good time management and organisational skills
About So They Can
We work together with communities and their governments in Kenya and Tanzania to educate and empower, so they can break the poverty cycle, realise their own potential and meet their own needs. We are a not-for-profit organisation registered in Australia, New Zealand, Kenya, Tanzania and the United States. Education is at the core of everything we do.
To work together with communities in Africa to educate and empower, so they can break the poverty cycle, realise their own potential and meet their own needs
To empower communities through quality education to break the poverty cycle
- Challenging ourselves to make a real difference to the lives of others (impact)
- The rewards of human connection (ubuntu)
- Delivering what we promise and being upfront (integrity)
- The dogged determination to take on the hard stuff and get our hands dirty (persistence)
- Honouring our commitment to those who support us (responsibility)
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close end of business on Wednesday 5th December.